Thursday, May 07, 2009

Unfortunately No Tumor (yes, you read it right)

In the past few months since I wrote my last blog entry, I have continued to struggle with my hypoglycemia. When I described the worsening of my symptoms to my endocrinologist, he assumed that I must have a rare tumor called an insulinoma and he ordered a CT scan of my abdomen. I felt as if a medical professional was finally taking my symptoms seriously. Of course I started researching insulinoma online. An insulinoma is a small tumor, usually on the pancreas, that secretes it's own insulin. The secretion of insulin causes blood glucose to fall. Most of the stories of people with insulinomas sounded just like me. The other patients had gained thirty or more pounds in the last year and a half and they were eating constantly. The treatment for an insulinoma is to surgically remove the tumor. Usually the patient will be cured after the surgery and the hypoglycemia will not return.
I actually started hoping for a tumor. How insane is that? My hypoglycemic symptoms are so miserable that I would rather have part of my pancreas removed than have to live with them. I underwent an abdominal CT scan and an MRI of my pancreas but neither of the tests showed anything. The results were negative and I didn't have any tumors. I was kind of relieved that I didn't have to have major surgery but I was back at square one! I feel like I move in circles with my health. I usually end up at a point on the circle where the doctor says that he has no idea what is going on in my body. I have actually been told that I am a patient who is in a black box in which the doctor's cannot see into. They tell me that I clearly have serious blood sugar issues, but that one or many of about 100 different reactions or operations in the body could be malfunctioning. Why am I the only patient that my doctor has not been able to help in 23 years of teaching at Stanford Medical Center?
I refuse to give up on finding an answer for my hypoglycemia symptoms. I am just not sure where to go from here.