Sunday, July 26, 2009

Help for Hypoglycemia-Finally!

After three years of searching for help for my hypoglycemia, I finally found a partial answer. I have been taking the type II diabetes drug Januvia for three months. I take 100 mg with breakfast (the diabetes dose is 300mg) and it helps keep my blood sugar more stable throughout the day. I am thrilled to have found something that helps but it only takes the edge off of the hypoglycemia. I still have to eat a lot of fat and protein every 2-3 hours. I continue to experience the shaking, the sweating, and the mental confusion symptoms between every snack/meal. My hypoglycemia problem clearly is not solved but my symptoms are less severe than they were before I started Januvia and I have stopped gaining weight. I estimate that I am 20% better. I have actually lost six pounds since I started it. I only take 1-2 glucose tabs a day as opposed to 10 to keep me from fainting when it drops quickly. I am relieved to find a drug that helps. I am not crazy. For a few months, I tried the other type II diabetes drugs, Metformin and Byetta. Both of those drugs caused my blood sugar to plummet. My hypoglycemia was worse on the drugs than it was before I tried them. One occasion I was headed to the ER because my vision narrowed and I was too weak to walk and then I suddenly thought to try a glucose tab and it worked. My symptoms vanished and we went back home. My question is why does Januvia help me when Byetta and Metformin made me worse? My doctor is not completely sure why Januvia helps my blood sugar from going as low but he told me that Januvia might even out the pancreas’s release of insulin. I want to understand all of the details about why Januvia helps me so that I can understand what is wrong with my body in the first place. Unfortunately, Januvia is a new drug that we know little about. Does anyone out there know why Januvia helps me when Metformin makes me worse? I am excited to have found a drug that helps. Hopefully, I will loose more weight and my hypoglycemia will continue to improve. I take my hypoglycemia symptoms day by day and I assume that if I can learn more about how Januvia works, then I will eventually solve this hypoglycemia puzzle.

2 comments:

CDNPrincess said...

Hi Erika! I just found your posting and I seem to have the same hypoglycemic issues. How are things now since you posted last about this issue? I see there have been no comments. Would love to know how you are doing now since my endocrinologist has given me 4 weeks free of Januvia to 'help me' with my crashing. Thanks!!

Erika Nielsen said...

Hi,
Thanks for your comments. I have been on Januvia for about a year now and it is still helping my hypoglycemia. It makes my symptoms about 20% better so i still have a lot of hypoglycemia symptoms but help s me enough to keep taking it. I recently added sustained release Glucaphage to the Januvia and together they help me even more. The effect seems to wear off after 4 hours but I can go longer without getting symptoms between breakfast and lunch. I would love to talk to you more. Please email me at eriswim@gmail.com