Monday, January 19, 2009

Loss of Brain Function with Hypoglycemia

Since November, my hypoglycemic symptoms have continued to worsen. The hypoglycemia is now causing me more acute problems than the Lyme disease causes. During the course of an average day for me, I experience nausea, shakiness, sweating, hunger, and the inability to think clearly every two hours and sometimes even more frequently. The symptom that has become the most prominent is my rapid loss of cognitive function when my blood sugar drops. One minute I will start to feel slightly shaky and hungry and five minutes later, I cannot comprehend what is on a menu. My husband has had to read a menu and decide what to order for me. As my blood glucose levels drops, my brain doesn't have enough glucose to function properly. It is a terrible and bizarre feeling. When I start to feel like I need to eat, I only have five minutes or less before my brain stops functioning. I have to concentrate extremely hard just to make a sandwich. I realize that this symptom is more unusual than the sweating and the shakiness that most of my friends experience when they have hypoglycemia. On Thanksgiving Day, I did not eat enough protein with my lunch and my blood sugar plummeted. While we were sitting at the table for our holiday meal, I could not think straight. My husband says that I said some strange things during the meal. I remember feeling weak, spacey, and faint (and this was after snacks and glucose tablets). I just wanted to lie down but I had to keep eating because I knew that only food would make me feel better. I don't remember what we talked about during Thanksgiving dinner. I know that I sat at the table and I ate two plates of food but that is all that I remember. After the food was digested and it had raised my blood sugar level, my brain function returned to normal. Not only is my cognitive function getting worse with the hypoglycemia, but also I have to consume more quantities of food before the symptoms disappear. Why did I have to eat multiple snacks and two plates of Thanksgiving food for my symptoms to abate? A recent example of this brain function issue is when my Mom started asking me some basic questions while I was hypoglycemic and I could not answer her and I could not process her talking to me. It was too much for my brain. I felt terrible at the time and I just wanted her to stop talking. Ten minutes and one sandwich later, I had recovered. I keep telling my endocrinologists (yes, I have more than one) about these symptoms but they tell me that they do not know how to help me. I am the rare patient that they do not know what to do for. I am sick and tired of being the rare and “special” patient. I just want to find a cure for one of my problems. If my hypoglycemia could get better or resolve, then I could concentrate on treating more of my Lyme symptoms.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Erika,
Your blog was as if I wrote it myself. I am 3 years post OP RNY. At 2 1/2 years develpoed sever hypoglycemia. It is so bad now that I no longer suffer from confusion, sweats, etc. when my blood sugar is low. I have blood sugar in the 40's every other day. I pass out regularly and now suffer from seizures. My doctors are of no help at all. Several of them didn't believe me until I started monitoring it with a meter and having my blood drawn and taken to a lab. I was involved in a study at Joslin Diabetes Clinic in Boston and even they don't know what to do with me. I too have been labled "special" and "a rare patient". I'm not sure how "rare" I am because I keep hearing similiar stories. I found a doctor in NY that will take a part or my entire pancreas out. He also agrees that the type of food I eat has nothing to do with my insulin production so a high protien diet will not help at all. (you have no idea how I've been fighting with my doctors to try to convince them that their diet is of no help and that food is not the problem). I cannot live like this any longer and I'm seriously thinking about having my pancreas removed. Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia after Gastric-Bypass Surgery or Nesidioblastosis
has truely ruined my life.
Kimberly
kimberly9801@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to write you and say hello. I just started reading your blogs. It is crazy how similar we are. I mean...we have done some of the same treatment...gone through an infected central line...many symotoms are the same..and much more. I am 21 and live in CA. I have been sick most of my life. I started to complain about my health around age 5. I was finally diagnosed with Lyme and co-infections in 2006.It is a struggle to get through each day. Please feel free to e-mail me when you are feeling up to it. It is: noellie87@yahoo.com
I hope you are having a good day and if not I will be praying for it to get better. Take care.
Noelle

Evgör Mobilya said...

Thank You..
izmir evden eve